THE MINUTES OF THE MEETING OF THE BOARD OF PUBLIC WORKS
May 15, 2023
The regular meeting of the Board of Public Works was held on May 15, 2023 at 5:00 pm in the City Council Chambers. Those in attendance were President Brian Terry, Vice President David Ausmus, Board Member Scott Lucas, General Manager Stephanie Wilson, Assistant General Manager and Manager of Energy Resources Ben Stueve, Mayor Anthony Petre, City Administrator Avis Marshall and Councilwoman Cheryl Blaise. Board Member David Wilt was absent.
President Brian Terry called the meeting to order at 5:00 pm.
1 & 2. Approval of Minutes from Prior Board Meetings – Board Member Scott Lucas made a motion, seconded by Vice President David Ausmus, to approve the minutes from the April 17, 2023 regular meeting and May 4, 2023 emergency meeting as written. The motion carried with three votes for and none against.
Under old business:
- There was no old business to discuss.
Under new business:
- Review of Financials – April 2023 – Ms. Wilson shared that the most substantial change in the electric fund was receipt of a payment in the amount of $1.1 million for the purchase of the six Caterpillar generators from Substations 2 and 3. She noted that all other funds were stable with nothing significant to note.
5. Approval of Bid for Lift Station Replacement at 1402 S. Missouri Street, Macon, Missouri – Ms. Wilson shared two bids opened on May 10, 2023, for the retrofit of the lift station at 1402 S. Missouri Street, Macon, Missouri to which Macon Affordable Housing Corporation has committed to paying $15,000 towards and City Council supports the cost share per their meeting held on May 9, 2023. Board Member Scott Lucas made a motion, seconded by Vice President David Ausmus, to accept Willis Brothers, Inc.’s bid of $31,100.00 to retrofit the lift station and assume ownership upon it meeting Missouri Department of Natural Resources specifications. The motion was carried with three votes for and none against.
6. Approval of Employee Residency Request for BreeAnna Basler – Ms. Wilson shared that Mrs. Basler, Utility Billing Clerk, plans to permanently reside at 301 Old Highway 36 West, Bevier, Missouri and temporarily at 600 Bloomington, Bevier, Missouri. She also shared criteria met per the City of Macon, Missouri & Macon Municipal Utilities Employee Policy Manual dated December 13, 2022. Board Member Scott Lucas made a motion, seconded by Vice President David Ausmus, to accept BreeAnna Basler’s temporary and permanent residency request. The motion was carried with three votes for and none against.
7. Approval of Macon Energy Center Co-Generation Agreement Between the City of Macon, Missouri and POET Biorefining – Macon, LLC D/B/A POET Bioprocessing – Macon – Ms. Wilson and Mr. Stueve reviewed each section of the proposed agreement and highlighted significant changes such as the natural gas input split parameters, selling of the boiler to POET, and rate for transporting natural gas. As noted in a memo dated March 16, 2023 from the Missouri Electric Commission, it is understood that the natural gas input cost split is being modified. MEC representatives have also been part of the negotiation process. Board Member Scott Lucas made a motion, seconded by Vice President David Ausmus, to recommend to the City Council of Macon, Missouri to approve the five-year Macon Energy Center Co-Generation Agreement between the City of Macon, Missouri and POET Biorefining – Macon as presented. The motion was carried with three votes for and none against.
8. Employee Retention & Recruitment – Ms. Wilson reported that Derick Wriedt began in the Underground Facilities department on May 4, 2023. Ethan Pettig submitted his resignation for the same position effective May 23, 2023 and a verbal acceptance has been received from a candidate in the prior round of recent interviews. Ms. Wilson shared that her resignation from the General Manager position is effective on May 18, 2023. The Board of Public Works is accepting applications for the General Manager position until Friday, June 2, 2023. Keith Carter, Underground Facilities Supervisor, plans to retire mid-August 2023 and management will be planning for the transition.
9. Board of Public Works Member Reports – No additional reports.
10. Approval of Accounts Payable – Board members signed accounts payable.
11. Set Next Regular Meeting – Monday, June 19, 2023 at 5:00 pm.
A motion was made by President Brian Terry, seconded by Board Member Scott Lucas, to go into executive session regarding Leasing, Purchase, or Sale of Real Estate (RSMo.610.021(2)) and Personnel (RSMo.610.021(3)). The votes were as follows: President Brian Terry, yea; Vice President David Ausmus, yea; and Board Member Scott Lucas, yea.
When the open meeting reconvened, at 5:51 pm a motion was made by Board Member Scott Lucas made a motion, seconded by Vice President David Ausmus, to adjourn the meeting. The motion passed with three votes for and none against.