THE MINUTES OF THE MEETING OF THE BOARD OF PUBLIC WORKS
July 18, 2022
The regular meeting of the Board of Public Works was held on July 18, 2022 at 5:00 pm in the City Council Chambers. Those in attendance were President Brian Terry, Vice President David Ausmus, Board Member David Wilt, Board Member Scott Lucas, General Manager Stephanie Wilson, and Electric Distribution Supervisor and Manager of Utility Operations Bryce Butner. Also in attendance were City Administrator Avis Marshall and Mayor Anthony Petre. Assistant General Manager and Manager of Energy Resources Ben Stueve was unable to attend.
President Brian Terry called the meeting to order at 5:00 pm.
- Approval of Minutes from prior Board Meetings: Board Member David Wilt made a motion, seconded by Vice President David Ausmus, to approve the minutes from the June 20, 2022 and July 7, 2022 meetings. The motion carried with four votes for and none against.
Under old business:
- Discussion of MMU Strategic Plan – Core Values & Goals – After discussion, core values to be incorporated into the strategic plan included the terms Respectful, True to Our Word, Honesty & Integrity, Exceed Expectations, Responsible for Our Actions, Reliable, Affordable Retail Rates, Dedication, Quality Work, and Pride. Goals will be identified as the strategic plan is developed. Ideas for an improved monthly dashboard were also presented to the Board.
Under new business:
- Approval of Accounts Payable – Board Members signed accounts payable.
4. Monthly Review of Financials – June 2022 – General Manager Stephanie Wilson shared revenue and expense information for each fund. Expenses were affected by three payrolls in the month. Increased commodity costs for electricity and natural gas also had an impact on expenses.
5. Employee Retention & Recruitment – Ms. Wilson provided updates on recent hires and employees in training programs.
6. Set Next Regular Meeting: The next regular meeting was set for August 15, 2022 at 5:00 pm.
Under manager reports, Ms. Wilson shared applications were turned in for grant funds available through the American Rescue Plan Act for drinking water, wastewater and stormwater projects. Notification of award from the Missouri Department of Natural Resources should occur mid October 2022.
From updates provided by Ben Stueve and Bryce Butner, performance for the Macon and Audrain Energy Centers were noted. In addition to routine activities, it was shared that the Electric Distribution group installed electric services for US Cellular small cell sites. Underground Facilities has worked on installing a new water main project on Pearl Street, worked with a contractor on the installation of pump mounts and guide rails for the West Bourke Street Lift Station, and began preparations for the regulator station replacement at McGhee Street.
Water Treatment Plant Supervisor Ed Samel reported the order has been placed for the replacement of the Liquid Ammonia Bulk Tank and training of new staff continues.
Wastewater Treatment Plant Supervisor Ronny Smith reported the plant passed the Whole Effluent Toxicity test and MDNR will be doing a stream study test as part of the process for the NPDES permit renewal.
A motion was made by Vice President David Ausmus, seconded by Board Member David Wilt to adjourn the meeting. The motion carried with four votes for and none against. The meeting adjourned at 6:15 pm.